St. Lawrence County Trapper's Association


When is the next availible Trappers Education Class?

This is the NYS DEC site that keeps a rolling tab on all classes. Email us directly at for inquiries also.

Q: I was wondering if there are any bounty's on anything in St Lawrence county?

Some what of an answer: no , no bountys. it usually isnt a good thing to have a bounty. bountys have always been the reason animals become extinct from an area of the country. wolves originated here as well as mountain lions and they are no longer here because of the bountys set a long time ago. it is just as good to have a no bag limit on say...... coyotes. bounty means any time of the year and under any condition thus eliminating the population. getting paid to trap would be under the nuisance control dept and with that you can trap anytime of the year but most of the animals are just relocated. even if you are asked to help with a .....problem beaver pond just as a have to stay within the guide lines of NYS and  ultimately, do we really want to eliminate ALL of the beavers from the complaining land owners pond? Probably not.


River Otter Trapping Season Map 2010-11

Mink and Muskrat Trapping Season Map 2010-11

Fisher and Marten Trapping Season Map 2010-11

Raccoon, Fox, Skunk, Coyote, Opossum, and Weasel Trapping Season map 2010-11

New York State map showing trapping season for different areas for bobcats

Trapping license info

     A license, permit, tag or stamp is not transferrable and be
used only by the person to whom issued.  Such license, permit, tag
or stamp shall not be possessed by another person while hunting,
unless accompanied by the person to whom issued.
     A license to hunt, trap or fish does not give the holder any
right to go on private property without permission of the land
     It is illegal to refuse to show your license on demand to a
law enforcement officer or the owner, lessee or person in control
of the lands (or their designees) on which the license holder is
All residents who trap wildlife must have in their possession
while trapping a trapping license except:
     -Resident owners, lessees and members of their immediate
     families and Indian resident owners and resident members of
     their immediate families when trapping on farm lands that they
     are occupying and cultivating.  Resident Indians do not need
     a trapping license while trapping on reservation lands.
     -Resident active members of the US Armed Forces who are
     stationed elsewhere and are in the state no longer than 30
     days.  While trapping, such persons must carry their service
     identification card and furlough papers.


Previous Trapping License
     All trapping license buyers must present one of the following:
     -a previous trapping license from any state, or
     -a New York State Trapper Education Program certificate, or
     -an affidavit from a license issuing agent stating that a
     trapping license was issued to the applicant.
The DEC trapper education course is open to everyone--from
beginners seeking their first trapping license, to experienced
trappers keeping up to date.  Topics covered include trapper ethics
and responsible trapping, trap preparation and maintenance, trap
sets and pelt preparation, and laws and regulations.  The course is
free (usually two 4-hour sessions); for details contact your DEC
Regional Office.
     Persons who have completed a trapper education course approved
by DEC, Cooperative Extension/4H, or the NYS Trapper's Association
are eligible for a certificate of completion; contact your
instructor.  Caution:  for some courses a list of persons
completing them was not maintained--do not expect to obtain a
certificate if you completed such a course.
To qualify for a resident license a person must be domiciled
in New York State more than thirty days immediately prior to date
of application.  Property ownership in New York State is not a
residency criterion.  Residency is that place where a person
maintains a fixed, permanent and principal home and to which such
person (regardless wherever temporarily located) always intends to
return, evidence of which includes that such person votes or is
registered to vote in that place in elections for any public office
other than school board (if under 18, the residence of parents or
legal guardian shall be deemed such person's residence).
     Active members of the U.S. Armed Forces stationed in the
State, and full-time college students (citizen) in residence in the
State during the school year (proof required) qualify or resident
     All persons who do not qualify for a resident license must
obtain a nonresident license to hunt or trap in New York State.
A junior trapping license is required for an eligible New York
State resident under 16 years of age; applicant must be accompanied
by parent, legal guardian, or person designated by parent or legal
guardian, who must consent to issuance of the license and sign his
or her name across the fact of the license.